The VA Texas Valley Coastal Bend Health Care System (VATVCBHCS) Primary Care Service provides Gynecological Care. The mission of the Primary Care Service - Gynecological Care is to serve the needs of America's Woman Veterans by providing the highest quality care.
As aGynecologist for the VA Texas Valley Coastal Bend, you will be working Part-time in our Harlingen Outpatient Clinic.
Duties and Responsibilities indicated below are not all inclusive of assigned duties and/or responsibilities, but provides a general overview of general performance expectations and responsibilities.
1. Leadership responsibilities: Participation in staff meetings, committees, and peer review process. Demonstrate effective communication both down to staff and up to leadership, to include heads up (for acute patient bad outcomes) and issue briefs, acting as Section Chief when the Section Chief is on leave.
2. Staff Management: Participate in the FPPE/OPPE process. Adheres to employee health requirements. Participate in Clinical Pertinence Reviews (routine medical record interviews).
3. Clinical Management: includes indirect patient care; accurate and timely open encounter & open consult management, adheres to CPRS documentation rules and requirements and t clinic procedures for patient scheduling & access; facilitates clinic staff productivity;oversight of relevant performance measures; and participates in the development of the new focus on the Medical Home and Patient Centric Care, Utilization Management, and Patient Safety initiatives, and process improvements (System Redesign).
1. Patient Care: Practitioners are expected to provide patient care that is compassionate, appropriate, and effective for the promotion of health, prevention of illness, treatment of disease, and care at the end of life.
2. Clinical Judgment: To ensure practice-based learning and improvement, practitioners are expected to be able to use scientific evidence and methods to investigate, evaluate, and improve patient care.
3. Interpersonal & Communication Skills: Practitioners are expected to demonstrate interpersonal and communication skills tat enable them to establish and maintain professional relationships with patients, families, and other members of the health care team.
4. Professionalism: Practitioners are expected to demonstrate behaviors that reflect a commitment to continuous professional development, ethical practice, and understanding and sensitivity to diversity, and a responsible attitude toward their patients, their profession.
1. Practitioners are expected to show effectiveness in teaching, monitor and coordinate educational activities, and comply with necessary trainee supervision.
Research (if applicable):
1. Physician researchers will show an ability to identify and define significant Research and Development problems, to plan and execute a precise research program, and to generate effective reports and results worth of publication. Researchers are responsible for oversight of any research staff that they supervise.
1. This position includes participation in surgical and clinical vete4ran care in both the inpatient and outpatient setting.
2. Effective interaction with related services, such as nursing, radiology, and anesthesiology is required.
3. Responsibilities may include supervision of PA's and ARNP's and active involvement in education of residents through frequent clinical interaction.
4. A potential for research and pursuit of academic interests also exists.
5. Other responsibilities may include clinical and/or commitments at the four clinics.
6. Documentation in the electronic medical record, timely consult management, management of medications, reports and other documents related to patient care.
7. Physicians whose responsibilities may include teaching of medical students and residents will comply with the GME requirements for teaching and supervision.
8. Incumbent is expected to qualify for a Faculty Appointment to allow for work and supervision of Medical Residents.
Salary: The applicant's education and experiences will be reviewed by a Compensation Panel in determining the salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Status: Exempt
Supervisory Position: No
Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
Work Schedule: 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday - Friday
Functional Statement Titles/#: Staff Physician - Gynecologist, Office of the ACOS, Primary Care
In order to qualify for this position you must meet the following:
Citizenship of the United States. Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policy.
Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
Residency Training: Physician must have completed residency training or its equivalent approved by the Secretary of Veteran Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification. (NOTE: VA Physicians involved in academic training programs may be required to be board certified for faculty status.)
Proficiency in spoken and written English.
Physical requirements outlined below.
Preferred Experience: Board Certification in a medical or surgical specialty.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: Moderate Lifting (15-44 lbs); Moderate Carrying (15-44 lbs); Straight Pulling (up to 0.5 hours); Pushing (up to 0.5 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Walking (up to 5.3 hours); Standing (up to 5.3 hours); Repeated bending (up to 5.3 hours). All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s): *Resume
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1960852.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.