LOCATION: Mill Street Office Building, Danville, PA
DEPARTMENT: Legal Services
WORK SCHEDULE: Days
WORK TYPE: Full Time
The Associate Chief Legal Officer – Litigation Services (ACLO-LS) provides primary support, for Litigation Services, to the Executive Vice President, Chief Legal Officer (“CLO”) for the provision of all litigation services to all corporations within Geisinger as well as operational and fiscal management of the Division of Legal Services, with an additional focus on the System litigation, risk management, Professional Liability, General Liability insurance, claims, Actuarial functions and Human Resources. Major duties and responsibilities include:
· Oversight and mentoring of Litigation Counsel and paralegals
· In conjunction with the CLO, annual Department and Staff evaluations for Litigation Counsel
· Development, planning and effective management of the litigation budget
· Developing and implementing innovative programs to minimize medical malpractice risk and optimizing defense of cases when external counsel are used
· Oversight of all internal and external litigation activities
· Assignment of issues to Litigation Counsel as needed
· Evaluation of litigation performance and quality review through the development and use of client surveys
· Overall responsibility for oversight and evaluation of all outside litigation law firms' performance and System interactions; including determination of firms to be used and evaluation of performance with recommendations to CLO
· Overall responsibility for ongoing evaluation and management of catastrophic case management, as well as development of other litigation counsel within the Department who are capable of handling this level of case through to completion
· Responsibility for monitoring of all general liability matters in conjunction with the Associate Vice President Corporate Insurance
· Overall supervision of employment/discrimination, advice, administrative activities, litigation and claim resolution by in house and external counsel
· Overall supervision of PHRC/EEOC regulatory investigation and documentary support
· Support for the insurance program, including direct and ongoing working relationship with VP Corporate Insurance, the insurance brokers and direct interaction with all commercial insurers
· Primary legal support, for the System Corporate Risk Committee, Professional Liability Claims Review Committee and the Medical Affairs Committee Professional Liability Subcommittee
· Provides secondary support for Department of Health surveys and investigations
· Provides secondary Legal Services support for providers involved in the Bureau of Occupational and Professional Affairs investigations
· Provides patient and health law issue resolution, including end of life, advanced directives, care management, policy and procedure development, documentation and clinical-legal questions, peer review, additional litigation and security risk education, as needed
· Provides secondary support for issues regarding the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and/or Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act Medical Records and Procedure Committee Counsel (Release of Information Committee, Electronic Health Records Committee, Risk, Reimbursement and Regulatory Committee (R-3)
· Provides legal support for Electronic Medical Record Committee
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor's degree and Law Degree with active Pa. law license.
15 years or more of legal experience with related experience in a healthcare organization or exposure to healthcare issues, including but not limited to, professional malpractice and employment litigation and negotiation, management of law firms and budgeting. Knowledge of the principles of management sufficient to direct professional staff. Knowledge of governmental and healthcare laws, regulations and reporting requirements.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
Work is typically performed in an office environment.
OUR PURPOSE & VALUES: Everything we do is about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities. KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves. EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence. LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow. INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
ABOUT GEISINGER: Geisinger is a physician-led health system comprised of approximately 30,000 employees, including nearly 1,600 employed physicians, 13 hospital campuses, two research centers, and a 583,000-member health plan Geisinger is nationally recognized for innovative practices and quality care. Geisinger serves more than 3 million people in central, south-central and northeast Pennsylvania and also in southern New Jersey with the addition of National Malcolm Baldridge Award recipient AtlantiCare, A member of Geisinger. In 2017, the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine became the newest member of the Geisinger Family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and domestic partners.* Perhaps just as important, from senior management on down, we encourage an atmosphere of collaboration, cooperation and collegiality. For more information, visit www.geisinger.org, or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
** Does not qualify for J-1 waiver. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer Women and Minorities are Encouraged to Apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status.
*Domestic partner benefits not applicable at Geisinger Holy Spirit.
At Geisinger, our innovative ideas are inspired by the communities we serve – like our Fresh Food
Farmacy, a program that delivers life-saving healthy alternatives to patients with diabetes. With additional tools like our MyCode Community Health Initiative, one of the first health system genome sequencing
programs, and our new asthma app suite that we developed in partnership with AstraZeneca, it’s no wonder we’re ranked one of the Top 5 Most Innovative Healthcare Systems by Becker's Hospital Review. We continually work towards continuous improvement in a culture where everyone has a voice and firmly believe that better begins with all of us.
Founded more than 100 years ago, Geisinger serves more than three million residents throughout central, south-central and northeastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. Our physician-led system is comprised of 30,000 employees, including 1,600 employed physicians, and consists of 13 hospital campuses, the Geisinger Health Plan, Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine and two research centers.
What you do at Geisinger shapes the future of health and improves lives – for our patients, communities, and you.