LOCATION: Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine, Scranton
WORK SCHEDULE: Days
WORK TYPE: Full time
The Informationist collaborates on a team that engages with students, faculty, clinicians, and researchers to optimize access to and use of information. The Informationist team develops and delivers innovative services, information products, and online tools that enable clients to efficiently and effectively identify, locate, manage, and use information for teaching and learning, patient care, and research. To accomplish this work, consults for individuals and teams on topics, such as finding and managing information, identifying opportunities or venues to present scholarly work, tracking research impact, or complying with public access mandates. The Informationist will also design and deliver instruction, participate in the libraries’ information and research services, and collaborate on developing user-focused collections of information resources and tools.
The informationist will serve as an expert on issues of scholarly communications, including copyright, compliance with funder requirements for publishing and research data management, open access, and the use of publication metrics to document research impact. The incumbent will also evaluate and promote software and standards that enable successful collaboration and scholarly communications.
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
• Demonstrated commitment to providing excellent customer service and a desire for engaging with learners, clinicians, and researchers at all levels.
• Ability to confidently and effectively interact with individuals and teams
• Ability to design and execute strategies to find and organize information
• Ability to self-direct learning
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, including the ability to actively listen, understand, and articulate a client’s needs.
• Strong analytical skills and knowledge of the research process
• Ability to prioritize, manage projects, and meet deadlines with creativity and flexibility
• Demonstrated commitment to fostering a diverse workplace environment
• Ability to effectively build partnerships and promote the library
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively with varied groups within a complex organization and rapidly changing, team environment
• Demonstrated understanding of fundamental concepts of biomedical informatics, and the methods and models for storage, retrieval, sharing and use of biomedical information and data
Master's Degree in Related Field -Required
PhD in a biomedical, information sciences, or related field or Master's Degree in Library Science -Preferred
• One year of experience working with research teams and participating in or advising on the publication of research findings -Required
• One year of experience working in an academic or health sciences library-Preferred
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Work is typically performed in an office environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
Requires travel to other campuses based on area of responsibility
OUR PURPOSE & VALUES: Everything we do is about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities. KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves. EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence. LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow. INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
One of the nation’s most innovative health services organizations, Geisinger serves more than 1.5 million patients in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The system includes 13 hospital campuses, a nearly 600,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. A physician-led organization, with approximately 32,000 employees and more than 1,800 employed physicians, Geisinger leverages an estimated $12.7 billion positive annual impact on the Pennsylvania and New Jersey economies. Repeatedly recognized nationally for integration, quality and service, Geisinger has a long-standing commitment to patient care, medical education, research and community service. For more information, visit geisinger.org or connect with us onFacebook, Instagram, LinkedInand Twitter.
** Does not qualify for J-1 waiver. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer Women and Minorities are Encouraged to Apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status.
*Domestic partner benefits not applicable at Geisinger Holy Spirit.
At Geisinger, our innovative ideas are inspired by the communities we serve – like our Fresh Food
Farmacy, a program that delivers life-saving healthy alternatives to patients with diabetes. With additional tools like our MyCode Community Health Initiative, one of the first health system genome sequencing
programs, and our new asthma app suite that we developed in partnership with AstraZeneca, it’s no wonder we’re ranked one of the Top 5 Most Innovative Healthcare Systems by Becker's Hospital Review. We continually work towards continuous improvement in a culture where everyone has a voice and firmly believe that better begins with all of us.
Founded more than 100 years ago, Geisinger serves more than three million residents throughout central, south-central and northeastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. Our physician-led system is comprised of 30,000 employees, including 1,600 employed physicians, and consists of 13 hospital campuses, the Geisinger Health Plan, Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine and two research centers.
What you do at Geisinger shapes the future of health and improves lives – for our patients, communities, and you.