A rewarding career that fits your life. Those who have joined the Banner mission come from all walks of life, united by the common goal: Make health care easier, so life can be better. If changing health care for the better sounds like something you want to be part of, apply today.
The Patient Financial Services (PFS) Department is responsible for the timely and accurate billing and collections of revenue based on CMS guidelines, payer contracts and federal regulations. The team provides a supportive environment where you will have many opportunities to grow and advance in your career path. We strive to create an environment that engages employees to produce at the highest level and recognition for their accomplishments. All individual and team work assignments are designed to collectively meet Banner's goals emphasizing excellent customer service and making a difference in our customer's lives.
As a Central Billing Office Patient Financial Services Senior Representative, you will not only work as an individual contributor to reduce accounts receivable balances ensuring reimbursement of services; You will also serve as additional support providing employee support, mentoring, responding to escalated calls with Patient Financial Services Representatives and providing additional reporting requests as needed.
Please note: This is a requisition for various Senior Patient Financial Services Representative positions that are open at the Banner Corporate Center - Mesa. During the application process, you will have the opportunity to be considered to multiple positions attached to this requisition. Applicants will be considered accordingly.
Within Banner Health Corporate, you will have the opportunity to apply your unique experience and expertise in support of a nationally-recognized healthcare leader. We offer stimulating and rewarding careers in a wide array of disciplines. Whether your background is in Human Resources, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Managed Care Programs or Public Relations, you'll find many options for contributing to our award-winning patient care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position coordinates and facilitates patient billing and collection activities, following patient accounts through the billing process to the payor, working with the payor through claims processing, ensuring reimbursement to the facility. Provides leadership to the patient financial services team, participating in the selection and training of staff members. This position serves as a primary resource in complex and/or sensitive cases and may be assigned to work in any position in the department based on the departmental need.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Provides leadership and training to Patient Financial Services Representatives. Provides leadership for the team by successfully leading special projects, training staff, providing suggestions to improve processes and serving as a resource for complex and sensitive accounts.
2. As assigned, processes payments, adjustments, claims, correspondence, refunds, denials, financial/charity applications, and/or payment plans in an accurate and timely manner, meeting goals in work quality and productivity. Coordinates with other staff members and physician office staff as necessary ensure correct processing.
3. As assigned, reconciles, balances and pursues account balances and payments, and/or denials, working with payor remits, facility contracts, payor customer service, provider representatives, spreadsheets and the company's collection/self-pay policies to ensure maximum reimbursement.
4. As assigned, researches payments, denials and/or accounts to determine short/over payments, contract discrepancies, incorrect financial classes, internal/external errors. Makes appeals and corrections as necessary.
5. Builds strong working relationships with assigned business units, hospital departments or provider offices. Identifies trends in payment issues and communicates with internal and external customers as appropriate to educate and correct problems. Provides assistance and excellent customer service to these internal clients.
6. Responds to incoming calls and makes outbound calls as required to resolve billing and payment issues. Provides assistance and excellent customer service to patients, patient families, providers, and other internal and external customers.
7. Reduces Accounts Receivable balances. Works as a member of the patient financial services team to achieve goals in days and dollars of outstanding accounts.
8. Uses systems to provide statistical data, prepare issues list(s) and to communicate with payors accurately.
9. Works independently under general supervision, following defined standards and procedures. Reports to a Supervisor or Manger. Uses critical thinking skills to solve problems and reconcile accounts in a timely manner. External customers include all hospital patients, patient families and all third party payers. Internal customers include facility medical records and patient financial services staff, attorneys, and central services staff members.
Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Banner Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge.
Requires knowledge of patient financial services, financial, collecting services or insurance industry experience processes normally acquired over two or more years of work experience. Requires knowledge of medical terminology and a broad understanding of all common insurance and payor types and authorization requirements. Requires the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously with minimal supervision and to work independently. Requires strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills to effectively interact with a wide range of audiences.
Strong knowledge in the use of common office software, word processing, spreadsheet, and database software are required.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Work experience with the Company's systems and processes is preferred. Previous cash collections experience is preferred. May have related experience with financial institution or background.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R20941
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.